Shield Mercantile Pty Ltd understands the importance to protecting the personal information of our clients and customers and is committed to the protection of personal information in accordance with our procedures.
Shield Mercantile Pty Ltd is bound by the requirements of the Australian Privacy Principles which are outlined in the Privacy Act 1988.
The purpose of this policy is to enable individuals to gain a better understanding of the way Shield Mercantile Pty Ltd holds and handles personal information.
Shield Mercantile Pty Ltd takes reasonable steps to obtain personal information directly from the individual or their authorised agent/s.
Shield Mercantile Pty Ltd may collect personal information for an individual which is supplied by third parties which contact us or are contacted by us.
We may also collect personal information for an individual through public sources.
Shield Mercantile Pty Ltd will collect personal information by lawful and fair means and only collect personal information for purposes which relate directly to our functions or activities.
Use and disclosure
Shield Mercantile Pty Ltd only uses the personal information which has been collected for the purposes of debt recovery or for secondary use provided consent has been obtained from the individual.
Shield Mercantile Pty Ltd discloses personal information to the following sources
- The client which engages our organisation as an agent
- Credit reporting bodies such as VEDA Advantage.
- Our solicitors and or local, district or supreme courts throughout Australia.
- Authorised agents on your behalf such as legal or financial advisers.
- External agents such as process servers, repossession, bulk mailing and document storage.
Shield Mercantile Pty Ltd takes reasonable measures to ensure that the personal information which is held is accurate, up to date and complete.
Shield Mercantile Pty Ltd maintains and updates personal information when advised by individuals that the personal information which is held is out dated.
Where personal information which has been collected and is no longer required, we remove the information or permanently de-identify it.
Shield Mercantile Pty Ltd takes reasonable steps to prevent loss, unauthorised access, use, modification or disclosure and against other misuse.
The steps which we take include security procedures and technology, software encryption, password protection, virus protection and internal quality procedures.
All employees are required to sign a declaration of secrecy which includes confidential information such as personal information.
Access and Correction
Individuals have a right to access and correct the personal information which is held, when a request for personal information to be updated or changed Shield Mercantile Pty Ltd will take reasonable steps to ensure that the information is held is updated, subject to some exceptions outlined in the Australian Privacy Principles.
Individuals can obtain further information regarding how to correct/update or request access to their personal information by contacting our office.
The information we collect and hold
We generally hold personal information for an individual relating to: -
- Personal Descriptors such as Name, date of birth, gender, marital status.
- Contact details such as Address, previous known address, email address and contact phone numbers
- Employment history such as employer’s names, addresses and contact phone numbers.
- Credit information such as credit provider, account name and number, balance. Outstanding, contract dates, application details and payment history details.
- Complaint information such as dates of when the complaint was received and finalised, details of the complaint and your expectations and the resolution of the complaint.
- Government issued identifiers such as an Australian Business Number (ABN) and drivers licence numbers.
We do not collect personal information such as your tax file number, pension number, Medicare number or any other government agency identifier.
We may collect information about your affiliation with certain organisations such as professional associations.
We do not generally collect sensitive information for individuals, but in some cases this information may be held. Sensitive information may include: -
- Political and religious beliefs
- Sexual preferences
- Criminal convictions
- Membership of professional or trade associates or unions
- Health information
Sensitive information may be collected when assessing certain claims including hardship.
In the event sensitive information in collected, we only do so with the consent of the individual or otherwise where we are entitled to do so.
Shield Mercantile Pty Ltd requires compliance with the Australian Privacy Principles by all of our external agents.
We are not likely to disclose the personal information of individuals to overseas recipients although in some cases our clients may disclose personal information to their external agencies.
Resolving Privacy Issues
If you feel that the resolution provided by our internal dispute resolution scheme is unsatisfactory or does not rectify your complaint, you can contact our external dispute resolution scheme for assistance in resolving the complaint.
Our external dispute resolution scheme is the Australian Financial Complaints Authority, or AFCA.
Australian Financial Complaints Authority, or AFCA can be contacted on 1800 931 678 or email@example.com
How to contact Shield Mercantile Pty Ltd
Shield Mercantile Pty Ltd
PO BOX 3118
Parramatta NSW 2124